Thursday, October 4, 2007

Questions from strangers

I have come to realize that when you have a baby strangers like to ask you a lot of questions. When you have a baby that is not biologically yours it sometimes can be a bit awkward. The most common question I get is " Was he born by C-section?" I think people like to ask this because Aidan does have a perfectly shaped head ( not that I am biased or anything). Another question I get is " How was the Labor?" . Another comment I used to get when Aidan was first born was " Wow you look great for just having given birth". I used to feel like I had to explain to everyone that he was adopted, but not anymore. The other day Helen and I were in a grocery store and the checker said " He is so beautiful, don't tell his father but he looks just like you". I just smiled to myself and said, "thank you". Also, the past couple of times people have asked me "how was the labor?" I just smile and said. " It was a breeze!".

The truth is my son is my son. period. I wouldn't feel any different about him if I had given birth to him. I don't feel I owe the world an explanation about how he came to be with us. The important thing is that HE knows how he came to be with us. I recently started Aidan's lifebook. This is a little harder than I thought it would be. There is certain information about his birth and birthmom that I keep waivering about whether to include or not. I know that he will eventually know all the details but I don't know how early to expose him to this information. Some books I have read about Lifebooks suggest that you give all the details from the very beginning. They have even given examples of different situations on how to word it so that it is non-judgemental and kid friendly. I think this might be the best. This way there will be no "big day" that he learns all the details. Still, as his mother I just sooo want to protect him.

Today we meet with our social worker who is completing Aidan's adoption. I am once again feeling a case of the butterflys. I know that we have nothing to worry about, but still when someone has something to say about your future it is a little daunting. I am predicting that Aidan's adoption will be complete around March or April. Oh how I can not wait until that day comes! I am really unsure of the whole process but will learn more today. We decided to go with an independent adoption instead of an agency adoption. Our attorney explained all about it to us but I am still a little fuzzy on the details. We decided to do this at the time of Aidans birth because it will save us $2,000 to $3,ooo .The downside is that it will be a little more work for us
and will take a little longer to complete ( if we were doing an agency adoption the process would probably be complete by January or February). Anyway we could really use your prayers today and until Aidans adoption is signed, sealed, and delivered!

2 comments:

Lucinda Naia said...

Everything is going to be absolutely okay! You've got my prayers, and I know God answers all our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Kelly, he is a beautiful baby. Cara sent this link to me because I am always asking how you all are doing. Good luck! I am praying for you all. Cara's Aunt Beverly