Friday, March 2, 2007

update

The latest update with our adoption is that we have a meeting with our attorney on Wednesday. From now on I will refer to him as Mr.D. He will explain the entire process and we we will get more details on what to expect and how everything works. To answer Betsy's question- yes he does work with single moms. There are some that are featured on his website. As far as the birth mom being able to take the child back. How my principal explained it to me ( and I could be totally wrong - but will be clear on Wednesday) is that the birth mom gives up the baby to the attorney and not directly to the adoptive parents. Mr. D then gives the baby over to the adoptive parents. After this happens I don't think the birth mom can come back to reclaim the baby. There is something technical in how it is handled that prevents this from happening. I know this because my principal adopted a baby ( not using our attorney, but someone else). She had the baby for a couple of weeks and then the birthmom came back and reclaimed the baby. To say the least she was heart broken. She then learned of Mr. D - and used his services. This is one reason why she is such a big advocate for him. Like I mentioned, I am not really sure of the details but will be educated on Wednesday. Mrs.D ( the attorney's wife) said the wait time could be anywhere between immediately to a couple of years. She did mention that if we are willing to take an "all hispanic baby" that things would probably move pretty fast. We are just sitting tight. Receiving a baby anytime in the next year would be fine with us.

We also talked to the adoption agency that we were using for the Guatemala adoption. They will keep our case open for 2 years. We can come back anytime during that time period and not have to repay the $5000.oo agency fee. That is great news! Especially since we are still interested in Guatemala once things get settled down!

1 comment:

Lucinda Naia said...

Thank you for mentioning that your agency will keep your file open. I haven't contacted my agency at all because I didn't know what I'd tell them.

Now maybe I have something more concrete to tell them like "hey, can we wait a couple of years until things settle down?"