Friday, March 2, 2007

More follies and a little about Annabelle




Now for some more classroom follies. Today our students dressed up like their favorite character from their favorite book to help celebrate "authors week". We had students in every imaginable costume. One of my first graders ( a very girly girl 7 year old) dressed up like a princess - actually how she put it -she was dressed as the girl that is the rich snob in Junie B. Jones. Her class took a math test today. I asked the students to put their heads down to show me they were finished with their test. Riley said " well actually I can' t put my head down because I don't want to mess up my updo" ( well excuuuuse me miss priss ). I didn't know that 7 year olds even knew what an updo was or even cared for that matter.

Sometimes you are teaching and you think that your kids are listening and paying attention. All of a sudden you will see a hand go up in the air. When you call on them because you think they have a legit question, something random comes out of their mouth like - " Do you know that my dads birthday is next month" huh? ( this especially has a tendency to happen in Kindergarten and 1st grade). This happened to me yesterday. When I called on Judah he said - " Do you know that next month is my dads birthday, then comes my dogs birthday , and then my birthday!" ( why no I didn't) But when he mentioned that his dogs birthday was coming up I suddenly remembered that it was Annabelle's birthday. Out loud ( unintentionally) I said " oh my dogs birthday is today". Judah then bursts out with "Happy birthday to your dog, Happy birthday to your dog" and sings the entire song. ( this was definitely not in the lesson plans for the day)


Speaking of Annabelle - here are some interesting facts about her.

1. I found Annabelle on the internet in 1999. She turned 8 yesterday

2. I knew I wanted a Lhasa Apso and wanted her name to be Annabelle. I then found the dog to match the name.

3.Annabelle has traveled all throughout North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Atlanta Ga, Charleston SC, Phoenix Az, Denver Colorado, Las Vegas, Utah, all through Southern Ca including San Diego, LA, and Santa Barbara.

4. She has been on 4 plane rides across the country and back. ( she is so good on the plane that the person sitting beside me usually doesn't even know I have a dog until we land and I let her poke her head out of her carrier)

5. Annabelle's signature color is purple.

6. If it weren't so weird to have my dog and my daughter with the same name, I would name my daughter Annabelle.

7. Her nicknames include Anna banana, baby belle, nanners, TBO ( the best one), and pickle.

8. When we sleep, Clinton gets 1/4 of the bed, I get 1/4 of the bed and Annabelle gets 1/2 of the bed.( don't ask me how this happens she only weighs 13 lbs)

9. Annabelle pretty much rules our house ( at least until bambino comes along!)


1 comment:

Angel said...

Hey there!! I got your comment. I would love to get some advise and input from you. Can you e-mail me at angelweir@gmail.com

So glad you wrote! Angel