Thursday, June 14, 2007

Brotherly Love

Well I have been a busy girl this week. I have gotten back into my exercise routine. I also did some volunteer work with Orangewood Children's Home. I picked up an infant there to hold. All of the children wear hospital bracelets. I took a peek at this childs bracelet and saw that his name was Damian and he was born on 03/01/07. He was only three months old and had already been removed from his home! There were about 6 toddlers , an 8 month old girl, and most of the rest of the kids were older. While I was there I saw something that almost brought me to tears. I was helping the other volunteers feed the toddlers their pizza. There was one little boy who was about 3 and obviously had a developmental disability. None of us could get him to eat, he would just push it away and cry. A little boy about 6 years old came over and whispered to him. It's o.k. don't cry. Don't forget that I love you! and gave the little boy a hug and kiss. They were brothers. The 6 year old proceeded to feed him his pizza and the 3 year old began to eat and smile. The 6 year old (who later told me his name was Christopher) said that his brother had never eaten pizza before. It was so sweet and such a display of brotherly love! I spent a little time with Christopher and helped him play bingo. What a sweet child and what a blessing to be able to spend a little time with him!

We are winding down at school. Tomorrow is the last day that I officially see kids ( they get out next Thursday). On the way home from school today I decided to throw each of my classes a Hawaiian style party. I went to Party City and got each of them leis and made little Hawaiian themed goody bags. I also bought a fish table cloth and little plastic Martini Glasses! Of course I couldn't resist the straws with little paper umbrellas built in. We should all have a great time tomorrow. I will see if I can post some pictures. You will be able to see some of the dolls I have been speaking about.

Last week was Open House at school. At the Open House they had a silent auction. Part of the auction included auctioning off of the teachers ( or at least lunch with the teachers). I am proud to say that I was "bought" for $25.00! Today I had my "date" with one of my favorite 1st grade girls. We ate pizza in my room and had a fun time. It is nice to be able to just "hang out" with students once in awhile. The things they talk about! I found out that Riley secretly wishes that our music teacher was her dad because he can sing well! ( I think she thought of this because the Kindergarten was having their "Spring Sing" and you could hear them in my room) She said "but my dad can't sing at all". What a riot! Riley loves to sing and you can often hear her singing at the top of her lungs in the girls bathroom. I often tell her that I think she will be on American Idol when she grows up. She always promptly corrects me and says that she will not be on American Idol because she does not want Simon Cowell saying mean things about her. Such a funny little girl!

1 comment:

Betsy said...

Aw.. very touching and cute recollections.

So, what are your plans for the summer? How are you? How was the anniversary shin dig?

Have you thought about adopting from Colombia? Just a thought.