Tuesday, May 8, 2007

What message are we sending?

I have just gotten home from volunteering at Orangewood Childrens Home. What a good time! Orangewood is a temporary placement for children who are removed from their home for various reasons. From Orangewood children either go back to their parents or fostercare. I was a little nervous and did not know what to expect. I thought that maybe the overall feeling would be one of sadness. The children for the most part were in very good spirits and very friendly! The children were in ages from 6 - 17. Once a month they have a motivational speaker and pizza, games, ice cream, and arts and crafts afterwards. Tonight there were a group from LA's professional indoor football organization and a couple of "Laker Girls". The teenage girls were especially taken with the Laker girls. I worked in the painting area and quickly made friends with a 6 year old girl I will call "J". "J" was dressed in pink princess pajamas and was a little shy at first. Within a few minutes she was happily painting and even attempting to paint me! We had a great time painting together.

As I was driving home I was thinking about the children I met tonight. They have all experienced something traumatic in the past few days / weeks. They seemed so happy and content. I also found myself thinking about my children at school. How sad it is that some of my children at school who live in 4 million dollar houses are so distraught and down right depressed.
I have one student who stars in a reality t.v. show. Her parents are able to give her anything that money could possibly buy except for their time. She is absolutely one of the sadest children I have ever met. She is involved in a nasty custody battle and her parents are basically pulling her in two. I feel so bad for her. They are both fighting over her yet neither one is taking responsibilty for her. It just reinforces what I have always known. We are all the same. No matter the color, ethnicity, social status, economic status, etc... What all children need is your time, attention, and love. period. We are all the same and it doesn't matter what type of house you live in, what neighborhood you live in,what your political affiliation is or what groups you belong to. Neglect is neglect. It doesn't matter what the reason - if a parent is gone because he or she is partying or doing drugs or working all the time to make ends meet ( or pay for 4 million dollar houses). Children need your time and attention. What message are we sending to our kids?

Last Friday a family from the neighborhood I teach in were driving home from the mall ( a mom, grandma, a 3 year old, a 4 year old, and a 5 year old) A tractor trailer rammed in the back of them and all three children were killed. Parents - spend a little extra time with your kids this week and let them know how much you love and appreciate them! Don't ever let your kids feel that you don't have the time for them.

1 comment:

Lucinda Naia said...

I'm so very glad to get reconnected with your blog!

You are 100% correct about the love, time and attention given to children TODAY. It isn't about the stuff, it's about the experiences you're giving your children.

Know that my thoughts and prayers are with both of you! May your little one come home really really soon!